Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows
Learn how you can work with slide background styles in PowerPoint 2007.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2007
OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7
Date Created: April 2nd 2011
Last Updated: April 2nd 2011
You might have seen that PowerPoint always opens a new presentaion with
a white background. If you want to change this to a picture,
a different color or any other fill effect such as pattern, gradient
etc, you can do it easily. In this tutorial you are going to get introduced
to default background styles and also going to see what are the other
options available with slide background formating in PowerPoint
PowerPoint 2007 offers 12 different background styles by default. To see them and also to see what other options you have for slide background styles, follow these steps:
- Open a new PowerPoint 2007 presentation or open the presentation
that you want to change the slide background for. Select
the Design tab
of the Ribbon --
within this tab,
click on the Background Styles button that you can
see in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Background Styles button under Design tab
- This will open the Background Styles gallery with a collection of 12
default slide background styles (see Figure
As you can see in Figure
first style which has got a yellow box surrounding it, is the
style currently applied. Hover the cursor on any other style to see
preview on the current slide. If you want to use any of them,
just cliIck on the style of your choice to apply it to the entire
Figure 2: Background Styles gallery
Note: These 12 default styles change their look depending on the Theme applied to your presentation.
- If you have something else on your mind about how your slide
background should look, then select the Format Background option
(refer to Figure 2 above). Now you
can see Format
Background dialog box that you can see in Figure
Figure 3: Format Background dialog box
The options in this dialog box are explained below -- you can use any of these options for the background style:
- Solid fill: You can change the slide background color using this option. You can use any of the Theme colors, Standard colors or any other color of your choice. You can also make your own new color and use it for slide background.
- Gradient fill: With this option, you can apply a gradient as slide background.
- Picture or texture fill: This option allows to use a picture or a texture as slide background.
- Hide background graphics: This is a check box option that you can also see beneath Background Styles button (highlighted in red in Figure 4 below). If your slide background includes lot of graphics which you want to hide (usually for printing purposes), check this box. The background graphics will remain with the design theme, but will be hidden from view. Compare Figure 4 and Figure 5 below, to see what difference this option will make to the same slide background:
Figure 4: Slide background with Hide Background Graphics box unchecked
Figure 5: Slide background with Hide Background Graphics box checked
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2016 for Windows
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.