When you create a new presentation in
PowerPoint 2016, you may typically see
a single slide with a white background. Alternatively, if you open any of your existing presentations, the background of the slides may be in a
different color or fill depending upon the Theme that the presentation
is based upon. You can always change this slide background to a picture, a solid color, a pattern, or even a gradient. However, even without exploring
all those options, there are twelve Background Styles that PowerPoint offers for every presentation by default. These styles are all
coordinated and also designed to work well as a set of complementary backgrounds. You can change your presentation slides to follow any of these
background styles by following the steps explained below:
- Create a new presentation or open an existing presentation. Figure 1 shows our sample presentation opened in
Slide Sorter view.
Figure 1: Presentation in Slide Sorter view
- Now, access the Design tab of the Ribbon and click
the downward pointing arrow within the Variants group, as shown highlighted in red within
Figure 2: Design tab of the Ribbon
- This brings up the Variants drop-down gallery, as shown in Figure 3. Within this gallery choose the
Background Styles option (highlighted in red within Figure 3).
Figure 3: Background Styles option to be selected
- This will bring up a sub-gallery that contains 12 default Background Styles, as shown highlighted in
red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Background Styles sub-gallery
- One of these 12 styles may be highlighted -- this indicates the background style applied to the active slide. Among these twelve slide background
styles, select any style of your choice by clicking on it. In Figure 5 you can see Style 11 is selected.
Figure 5: Style 11 chosen for the slide background
These 12 default styles change when you apply a different
to your presentation. Also, do you see the
and Reset Slide Background
options highlighted in red
, above? These are explained in our
Format Slide Background in PowerPoint 2016
- This applies the selected Background Style to the entire presentation, as shown in Figure 6. Compare Figures 1
Figure 6: Slide Background Style 11 applied to the open presentation
- Save your presentation often.
Apply Background Styles to Selected Slides
Do you want to apply one of the 12 background styles to just the active slide, or selected slides in your presentation? In that case, follow these
- Access Slide Sorter view, and select the slides that you want to
change to another background style, as shown in Figure 7. As you can see, we have selected slide numbers 2,
3, 4, and 5 only.
Figure 7: Some slides selected in Slide Sorter view
Want to know how you can select slides in Slide Sorter view -- look at our
- Now access the Background Styles sub-gallery, as explained in steps 2, 3, and 4
, in the preceding section on this page. Within Background Styles sub-gallery carefully right-click the Background Style you want to
apply to the selected slides so that you can see the contextual menu shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Background Style right-clicked to show the contextual menu
As you can see in Figure 8, there are three options in the contextual menu:
- Apply to All Slides: As the name itself indicates, this option applies the selected background style to all of the slides in the
- Apply to Selected Slides: This option applies the selected background style to the selected slides. If you don't have multiple
slides selected, it will apply the selected background style to the active slide only.
- Add Gallery to Quick Access Toolbar: Selecting this option will add the Background Styles icon to the
Quick Access Toolbar. Figure 9 shows the
resultant Quick Access Toolbar after selecting this option -- you can see the Background Styles icon added
(highlighted in red within Figure 9).
Figure 9: Background Styles icon added to the Quick Access Toolbar
- Among the three options explained above, select the Apply to Selected Slides option to apply the selected Background Style to the
slides you have selected in your presentation. In Figure 10 you can see the Background Style of the selected slides has changed to
the new style (compare with Figure 7).
Figure 10: Selected slides with changed background style
- Get back to Normal view as required -- and save your presentation.
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2013 for
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2011 for
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2010 for
Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2007 for
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.