Format Slide Background in PowerPoint 2013
Learn about different options available to format the Slide Backgrounds in PowerPoint 2013.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2013
OS: Windows 7 and 8
PowerPoint 2013 provides twelve default Slide Background Styles, much like the previous two versions. Apart from these Styles, you can continue changing the default Slide Background to something else such as a solid color or gradient, a pattern or a texture, or, even a picture. In this tutorial, we'll explore these options that can be accessed within the Format Background pane.
Follow these steps to change the background of your slides beyond the default Background Styles:
- Create a new presentation or open an existing presentation. Select the Design tab of the
Ribbon, and click the Format
Background button, as shown highlighted in red within
Figure 1: Format Background button within the Design tab of the Ribbon
Alternatively, right-click anywhere on an empty area of the slide to get a contextual menu. Within this menu select Format Background option, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Format Background option to be selected
- This brings up the Format Background
Task Pane, as shown in
Figure 3: Format Background Task Pane
Options within the Format Background task pane are explained below, as marked in Figure 3 -- you can use any of these options to change your Slide Background -- these options listed below provide links to detailed tutorials:
- Solid Fill: Adds a solid color background to your slide -- you can use any of the
Theme colors, Standard colors, or any other color of your
choice. To learn more about this option, read our
for Slide Backgrounds in PowerPoint 2013 tutorial.
- Gradient Fill: Applies a gradient as a slide background -- a gradient is a blend of two
or more colors merging into each other. For more information on this option, refer to our
Fills for Slide Backgrounds in PowerPoint 2013 tutorial.
- Picture or Texture Fill: Allows you to use a picture or a texture as a background. More
info can be found in our
Fills for Slide Backgrounds and
Fills for Slide Backgrounds tutorials.
- Pattern Fill: Choose from 48 different patterns contained within PowerPoint. Learn more in
Fills for Slide Backgrounds tutorial.
- Hide Background Graphics: If your Slide Background includes graphics which you want to hide
for printing purposes, or another reason, you can select this check-box. Although the background graphics will
remain part of your presentation, it will be hidden from view. Compare Figures 4 and
5 below to understand the difference this option makes to the visual look of your slides.
Figure 4: Slide background with Hide Background Graphics check-box deselected
Figure 5: Slide background with Hide Background Graphics check-box selected
- Apply to All: Click this button if you want changes made to be applied to all slides
within the active presentation.
- Reset Background: If you want to abandon all changes you made to the Slide Background,
click the Reset Background button. Note that this button will be grayed out unless you make
some changes to the Slide Background.
You will also find this option within the Background Styles gallery with a different name - Reset Slide Background (highlighted in red within Figure 6). To access the Background Styles gallery, refer to our Slide Background Styles in PowerPoint 2013 tutorial.
Figure 6: Reset Slide Background option within the Background Styles gallery
- Solid Fill: Adds a solid color background to your slide -- you can use any of the Theme colors, Standard colors, or any other color of your choice. To learn more about this option, read our Solid Fills for Slide Backgrounds in PowerPoint 2013 tutorial.
- Save your presentation.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.