Insert an Organization Chart in PowerPoint 2010
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: PowerPoint 2010
Date Created: June 17th 2011
Last Updated: June 17th 2011
Excerpt/Capsule: Learn how to add an organization chart in PowerPoint 2010.
First of all, an organization chart in PowerPoint 2010 is not another option on the Insert tab of the Ribbon. It is just one of the many variants of SmartArt graphics you can insert in your slide in PowerPoint 2010 (and PowerPoint 2007). An organization chart graphically represents the management or hierarchical structure of an organization. If you want to illustrate the reporting relationships in your company or organization, you can create a SmartArt graphic using the Organization Chart variant.
Follow these steps to create an Organization Chart in PowerPoint 2010:
- Create a new presentation, or open an existing presentation in
- When you insert a new slide in PowerPoint, it uses the default Title and Content Slide layout. But if you open a new presentation, it opens a new slide with the default Title Slide layout which you have to change to Title and Content.
- Click the Layout button in the Home tab of the
Ribbon to bring up the Layout gallery as shown in Figure
any of the layouts that include a content placeholder (the
small palette like collection of multicolored buttons visible
on some of the slide layouts (see Figure 1 again).
Figure 1: Choose a slide layout that includes a content placeholder
- Now that your slide layout has a content placeholder, click the Insert SmartArt
Graphic button among the six buttons in the content placeholder
that you can see
slide within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Content Placeholder
Alternatively, if you want to insert a SmartArt in an existing slide that has no content placeholder, just select the Insert tab of the Ribbon, and within the Illustration group, click the SmartArt button, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: SmartArt button under Insert tab of the Ribbon
- Either of these options opens the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog
box that you can see in Figure
Figure 4: Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box
The left pane lists the types of SmartArt graphics available -- the middle area displays SmartArt graphic variants within the selected type, and the area towards the right shows a preview of the selected SmartArt graphic along with a brief description.
- Within the left pane, click the Hierarchy option. Then choose any of the organization chart layouts (the first few layouts in this category), as shown in Figure 5. Then click OK.
Figure 5: Organization Chart selected
- This will place the selected Organization Chart on the slide, as
in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Inserted Organization Chart
- When the Organization Chart is placed on the slide, click the arrows
located on the left side (highlighted in red in Figure
6 above) to open
the text pane (see Figure
Figure 7: SmartArt graphic text pane
- Any text content added or edited within the text pane shows up within the Organization Chart as well.
- Save your presentation. Learn how to add more shapes to your organization chart in our Adding New Shapes to Existing Organization Charts in PowerPoint 2010 tutorial.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts E-Book.