Changing Charts Types in PowerPoint 2002 and 2003
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: PowerPoint 2002 and 2003
Date Created: January 28th 2010
Last Updated: January 28th 2010
Excerpt/Capsule: Learn how you can change your existing PowerPoint charts to other types -- for example, changing a column chart to an area chart.
PowerPoint provides ample choices in chart types for almost every kind of graphical data representation. There are some basic chart types such as column, bar, line, pie, etc. (see Figure 1) -- and advanced charts like radar, surface, bubble, doughnut, etc. (see Figure 2).
Figure 1: Column, Bar, and Pie Chart Types
Figure 2: Radar, Surface, and Bubble Chart Types
To change a chart type you need to have a chart in your presentation. Learn how to insert chart in PowerPoint 2002 - 2003.
Follow these steps to change the chart type in PowerPoint 2002 and 2003.
- Double click the chart to go to the chart editing mode as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Chart editing mode
- From the menu choose, Chart | Chart Type as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Chart type
- This summons Chart Type dialog box (see Figure 5).
Figure 5: Chart Type
Within the Standard Types tab of this dialog box, choose:
- Chart type: Provides a list of chart types to choose from.
- Chart sub-type: Here you can see the sub-types, based on what is chosen in chart type list. The text box below this area shows the detailed information about the selected sub-type.
- To preview how the chart will look like with the chosen chart type, click the Press and Hold to View Sample button. This replaces the chart sub-type box with the sample chart temporarily as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Sample chart type
- If you would like to use a specific chart type all the time, click the Set as default chart button to change PowerPoint's defaults.
- With the new chart type selected, click OK to get back to the chart editing mode as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Changed chart type
- You can exit the chart editing mode
by clicking anywhere outside the chart area or the datasheet.
- Save your presentation.
Changing Chart Types in PowerPoint 2013 for Windows
Changing Chart Types in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Changing Chart Types in PowerPoint 2010 for Windows
Changing Chart Types in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.