You won’t find an option to add an Organization Chart in PowerPoint 2013’s Insert tab of
the Ribbon. Instead, you will find the SmartArt option
in the Insert tab, and organization charts are just one of the many variants of
SmartArt graphics you can insert into your slide. An
organization chart graphically represents the management or hierarchical structure of an organization. If you want to
illustrate the reporting relationships in your company or organization, you can create a SmartArt graphic using the
Organization Chart variant.
Follow these steps to insert an Organization Chart in
- Create a new presentation, or open an existing presentation in PowerPoint.
- When you insert a new slide in PowerPoint, it uses the default Title and Content Slide
layout. But if you open a new presentation, it opens a new slide with the default Title Slide
layout which you have to change to Title and Content.
- Click the Layout button/option in the Home tab of the
Ribbon to bring up the Layout drop-down
gallery as shown in Figure 1. Select any of the layouts that include a content placeholder (the
small palette like collection of multicolored buttons visible on some of the slide layouts (see Figure 1
Figure 1: Choose a slide layout that includes a content placeholder
- If your slide layout has a content placeholder, click the Insert a SmartArt Graphic button among the six
buttons in the content placeholder that you can see in the slide within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Content Placeholder
Alternatively, if you want to insert a SmartArt in an existing slide that has no content placeholder, just select the
Insert tab of the Ribbon, and click the SmartArt button, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: SmartArt button
- Either of these options opens the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box that you can see in
Figure 4: Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box
The left pane lists the types of SmartArt graphics available. The middle area displays SmartArt graphic variants within the
selected type, and the area towards the right shows a preview of the selected SmartArt graphic along with a brief description.
- Within the left pane, click the Hierarchy option. Then choose any of the organization
chart layouts (the first few layouts in this category), as shown in Figure 5. Then click the
Figure 5: Select any Organization Chart variant to insert
- This will place the selected Organization Chart on the slide, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Inserted Organization Chart
- When the Organization Chart is placed on the slide, click the arrows located on the left side (highlighted in
red within Figure 6 above) to
open the text pane
(see Figure 7).
Figure 7: SmartArt graphic text pane
- Any text content added or edited within the text pane shows up within the Organization Chart as well.
- Save your presentation.
Insert an Organization Chart in
PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Insert an Organization Chart in PowerPoint
2010 for Windows
PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences:
PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 for Windows
PowerPoint 2016 and 2011 for Mac
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado?
Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences ebook.