Chart Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Learn about Chart Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
The Chart Area is essentially the entire area that encompasses your chart. Everything on the chart is placed atop this area --
thus you can say that the Chart Area is that part of your chart that's placed below all other
chart elements. Look at Figure 1
below, where you can see the Chart Area colored in pale blue, which is surrounded by selection handles.
Figure 1: Chart Area
By default, the Chart Area doesn't show any fill or any formatting unless you have used a particular Chart Style. Even though this default status works well, you can opt to format as required. You can change the appearance of the Chart Area, or make the entire chart text use a single font attribute, or change the position of the chart on the slide with just a few clicks. Follow these steps to explore more:
- Select the chart that you want to format the Chart Area for. If you don't have a chart,
insert a chart
in your slide -- you can also
change the chart type from one to another.
- Now, select either the Chart Layout or the Format tab of the Ribbon.
Both of these tabs contain the Current Selection group that you can see in Figure 2 towards the
extreme left. Within this group, you can see the Chart Elements selection box (highlighted in
red within Figure 2) which contains a list of
elements in the selected chart. Within
this list, click on the Chart Area option -- now you can see a tick mark prefixed to this option, as shown in
Figure 2 to indicate its selected status.
Figure 2: Chart Area selected
Below this Current Selection list is the Format Selection button, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3. Click this button.
Figure 3: Format Selection button
Alternatively, carefully right-click (or Ctrl+click) the Chart Area (click close to the edge of your chart) -- from the contextual menu, select the Format Chart Area option as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Format Chart Area option
- Either way, this summons the Format Chart Area dialog box as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Format Chart Area dialog box
In this dialog box, you can see various options (within the sidebar) that help you to format the Chart Area.
- The top five options -- Fill, Line, Shadow, Glow & Soft Edges, and 3-D Format are used to format the appearance of the Chart Area. To learn more about these options,
refer to our
Chart Area: Appearance Options in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Font option is used to format the font settings for the entire chart. Get more info on this option in our
Area: Font Options in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Position option decides the position of your chart on the slide and Alt Text
option is used to enter the alternative text for the chart. Learn more about these options in our
Chart Area: More Options in
PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- The top five options -- Fill, Line, Shadow, Glow & Soft Edges, and 3-D Format are used to format the appearance of the Chart Area. To learn more about these options, refer to our Chart Area: Appearance Options in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Select the required option and format the Chart Area as required.
- Save your presentation often.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon.
This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users.
Check the book on Amazon.com...