Apply Fills to Plot Area of Charts in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Learn how to apply fills to the Plot Area of a chart in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
The Plot Area for a chart is the layer or a backdrop upon which the chart itself is placed. This layer has axes on its perimeter and also, the Data Series and Gridlines are placed above this layer. By default, the Plot Area has no fill attributes, and thus it shows the slide's background. This may look plain, and that by itself is no reason to change the fill of the Plot Area. However, there are times when the slide background itself is busy -- and adding a different fill to the Plot Area can then make the chart appear more clear.
There are various fills you can apply to the Plot Area, such as a solid color, a gradient, a picture/texture, or a
pattern as shown in Figure 1, below.
Figure 1: Variants of the same chart with solid color, gradient, picture, and pattern fills applied to the Plot Area
Follow these steps to learn how to change the fill of the Plot Area in a PowerPoint chart:
- Select the chart that you want to format the Plot Area for. If you don't have a chart,
insert a new chart.
Now, carefully right-click (or Ctrl+click) the
Plot Area -- from the resultant menu,
select the Format Plot Area option, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Format Plot Area option
- This summons the Format Plot Area dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Make sure that the
Fill option is selected within the sidebar, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Format Plot Area dialog box
Within the Format Plot Area dialog box, you can see various Fill options for the Plot Area, highlighted in red within Figure 3. Let us explore each of them. For more information on each of these options, refer to the tutorials linked:
- Solid: This option is used to fill the Plot Area with a solid color. To learn more about this option, refer
Apply Solid Fills to
Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Gradient: Fills the Plot Area with a gradient fill. To learn more about this option, refer to our
Fills to Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Picture or Texture: A picture or a texture can be used as a fill for the Plot Area using this option.
Learn more about this option in our
Apply Picture Fills to Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac and
Apply Texture Fills to Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorials.
- Pattern: You can also use one of 48 patterns offered by PowerPoint as a fill for Plot Area. To get more
info, refer to our
Apply Pattern Fills to Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Solid: This option is used to fill the Plot Area with a solid color. To learn more about this option, refer to our Apply Solid Fills to Plot Area in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac tutorial.
- Select the required option and format the Plot Area as required. In Figure 4, you can see that the Plot
Area of our sample chart is filled with pink (compare with partially visible chart in Figure 2).
Figure 4: Plot Area with a solid fill
- Save your presentation often.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon.
This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users.
Check the book on Amazon.com...