Add Office.com SmartArt Graphics To PowerPoint 2010
Learn how to add Office.com SmartArt Graphics to PowerPoint 2010.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista /7 and 8
SmartArt in PowerPoint 2007 and 2010 has replaced the diagram options in previous versions of PowerPoint. SmartArt also allows you to replace bullet points with info-graphic content using text-within-shapes that's more logical to view and present. In Figure 1 below, you can see the types of SmartArt graphics you can see when you access the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box.
Figure 1: Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box with default SmartArt types
In the left pane within Figure 1, you will see the different SmartArt categories available -- in addition to these categories, you can also add an additional SmartArt category that shows content from Office.com. However, before you can access this SmartArt option, you need to change some settings within PowerPoint. In this tutorial you will learn how to add the new Office.com category to your SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint 2010:
- Launch PowerPoint 2010. Access the File menu, and choose Options, as shown highlighted in
red within Figure 2.
Figure 2: Select File | Options
- This opens the PowerPoint Options dialog box, as shown in Figure 3. Within this dialog box, select the Trust Center option
within the sidebar, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Trust Center option within the PowerPoint Options dialog box
- Within the resultant window, click the Trust Center Settings button, shown highlighted in
red within Figure 4.
Figure 4: Trust Center Settings button
- This opens the Trust Center dialog box as shown in Figure 5 -- select Privacy Options, as shown
highlighted in red within Figure 5.
Figure 5: Trust Center dialog box
- Within the Privacy Options list, make sure that the Connect to Office.com for updated content when I’m connected to the
Internet check-box is selected, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 6.
Figure 6: Privacy Options
- Then, click the OK button within the Trust Center dialog box, as shown highlighted in
blue within Figure 6, above. This will take you back to
PowerPoint Options dialog box. Here, click the OK button as shown highlighted in blue within
Figure 4, earlier on this page.
- Close PowerPoint.
- Re-launch PowerPoint. Now, if you summon the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box, you can see the new
Office.com category, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 7.
Figure 7: Office.com option within the Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box
a. Deselect the Connect to Office.com for updated content when I’m connected to the Internet check-box.
b. Close PowerPoint.
c. Now, follow Steps 1 to 8 again as explained in this tutorial -- you will then possibly see the new Office.com category.
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.