Re-Order Animations in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
Product/Version: Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
OS: Mac OS X
Date Created: August 10th 2012
Last Updated: August 10th 2012
Excerpt/Capsule: Learn how to re-order animations on your slides in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac.
Animations are always numbered in the order as you apply them. So if you first animate a shape and then add animation to the text placeholder -- then that's going to be the sequence in which they will animate. However, it is possible to re-order your animations as needed. You may want to consider re-ordering of animations so that the sequencing happens as per some aesthetics and logic -- also Entrance and Exit animations, if applied need to be the first and last animations for any slide object. PowerPoint's Re-Order options for animations let you play with this sequencing.
Follow these steps to re-order existing animations:
- Before you start, make a duplicate copy of your slide in the presentation -- this is easily achieved by selecting the slide in Slide Sorter view (see also PowerPoint 2011 Views) or within the Slides pane, and pressing Command+D. This duplicates the slide, and it's good to have a copy of the slide that you can go back to, just in case you want to cancel everything and start from the scratch!
- Now, click the Reorder button within the Animations tab of the Ribbon, as shown highlighted in red within Figure 1.
Figure 1: Reorder button within the Animations tab
- This summons the Custom Animation tab of the Toolbox as you can see highlighted in blue within Figure 2, below. Within this tab, the Animation order list includes all animations applied to various objects on the active slide, as shown in Figure 2. Note that all animations are shown in the sequence they occur from top to bottom.
Figure 2: Custom Animation tab of the Toolbox
- Select any animation that you want to re-order, as shown in Figure 3. You can also select multiple animations. We chose the animation added to 5-Point Star shape as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Animation selected within the Custom Animation tab of the Toolbox
- To change the order of the selected animation(s), use the Re-Order up-arrow or down-arrow buttons (highlighted in red within Figure 3, above) located at the bottom of the Animation order list. In Figure 4, you can see that we have changed the order of the selected animation from 4th to 2nd, within the Animation order list.
Figure 4: Animation re-ordered
Note: If there are plenty of animations listed within the Animation order list, it may take lot of time to re-order them using the Re-Order up-arrow or down-arrow buttons. In such a situation, first select the animation that you want to change the order for, and then just drag it to the new position within Animation order list.
- Once you have re-ordered your animations, preview them to make sure that the results look like what you intended. You might have to tweak the animation events a little if re-ordering made some changes to how they play.
- Save your presentation.
If you liked this tutorial, do look at this book, authored by Geetesh Bajaj and James Gordon.
This book is the single most comprehensive content for Microsoft's latest Office suite offering for Mac users.
Check the book on Amazon.com...