Creating a Ribbon
By: Vivek Thangaswamy
Page 1 of 2
Date Created: March 23rd 2009
Last Updated: March 23rd 2009
The book, authored by Vivek Thangaswamy will help you get started with using VSTO in several Microsoft Office 2007 applications including InfoPath, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc. The excerpt on this site looks at customizing the Ribbon interface in PowerPoint 2007.
I wish to thank Saalim Shaikh for facilitating the permission to extract.
Let's look at how to create and customize a Ribbon menu for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 using Visual Studio 2008 and VSTO programming. On clicking the button placed in the Ribbon, the custom task pane will be displayed.
- Open Visual Studio 2008 and create a new solution, as described earlier. To add a Ribbon to your solution, right-click on the project name. From context menu, click on Add | New Item…, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Next, select Ribbon (Visual Designer) and name the Ribbon Ribbon1.cs.
- On adding the Ribbon to the solution, the Ribbon appears as shown in the following screenshot:
- Drag-and-drop the control into the Ribbon, as shown in the following screenshot (the button control is added to the Ribbon):
- Next, you need to add User Control to the solution, in order to develop a custom task pane for PowerPoint 2007. Again, right-click on the project name. From the context menu, click on Add | New Item…, as shown in the following screenshot: