Neuxpower NXPowerLite 5
Optimize PowerPoint, Word, Excel, JPEG and PDF files with Neuxpower's new NXPowerLite 5.
Reviewed: Geetesh Bajaj
Date Created: February 17th 2011
Last Updated: February 17th 2011
NXPowerLite 5 is the newest version of Neuxpower's file optimizer product that we have reviewed in the past. Reviews of older versions can be found at these links:
Like in the past, NXPowerLite 5 reduces the size of PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, JPEG images, and PDF files (PDF is new for this version). All the optimized files retain their original format, with almost no loss of quality. The application also works integrated within Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail -- this means that NXPowerLite will automatically optimize email attachments as they are sent and the file recipients don't need NXPowerLite to open or edit the attachments.
NXPowerLite 5 is from Neuxpower, a company based in London, UK that has been creating custom applications since 1997. Learn more about these products and download a free trial version of NXPowerLite 5 from their site.
Following are the new features in NXPowerLite 5:
- Optimizes PDF files.
- Fully compatible with Microsoft Office 2010.
- Optimized files quality is better even on large screens.
- Reduce JPEG file sizes without changing their dimensions.
- Available in twelve languages.
Here is the list of key features in NXPowerLite 5:
- Automatically optimizes email attachments: NXPowerLite integrates with your email client to automatically optimize attachments. You can easily disable optimization temporarily (it will be re-enabled next time you send an attachment).
- Optimizes files stored within ZIP archives: You can now optimize files when they're stored within standard ZIP archives. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, JPEG, or PDF files will be optimized within ZIP archives by NXPowerLite.
- Choice of optimization levels: Now you can optimize for screen, print or mobile devices, or select your own custom settings.
- Batch processing: Optimize multiple files by dragging them onto the NXPowerLite window to build a list of files to optimize. If you add a folder or standard ZIP archive to the list, NXPowerLite will search through it and optimize the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, JPEG and PDF files it finds.
- Fully integrated with Microsoft Office: NXPowerLite is fully integrated with Microsoft Office so you can optimize your current file from within Word, Excel or PowerPoint. You can also optimize a file by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer.
My contact at NXPowerLite 5 for this review was Mike Power - thank you, Mike.
Download the installer from the link given above, run the setup routine
and follow the instructions. You'll end up with an NXPowerLite 5
shortcut on the desktop.
In our reviews of previous versions of NXPowerLite we showed how you can optimize a PowerPoint file. As this new version 5 adds PDF optimization, we'll convert a PowerPoint presentation into a PDF file (learn how to save your active PowerPoint presentation to a PDF), and then optimize it.
Now follow these steps to optimize a PDF file:
- Drag and drop any PDF file(s) on the NXPowerLite 5 shortcut
icon on your Desktop to summon the NXPowerLite 5 interface showing
the dragged file ready to be optimized, as you can see
Figure 1: NXPowerLite 5 interface
- Choose from Screen, Print,
Mobile Device, or Custom in the Optimize files
for drop-down list, and click
the Optimize button.
- This will start the optimization process. Thereafter, NXPowerLite
shows the optimized file in the Results window
Figure 2: Results window
In this window you can see original size, optimized size, and the reduction percentage of the files. The other options are Open, E-mail, and Zip and Email.
- By default, the optimized files will be suffixed with the words "NXPowerLite".
NXPowerLite 5 costs $49.95. Multi-user pricing are available, and upgrade costs from older versions of NXPowerLite is $24.98.
Support is through email. There's also a small online FAQ and a user manual.
NXPowerLite continues being an integral part of a workflow for users who work with Microsoft Office files on a regular basis -- the savings of space in storage of many of these files, and the bandwidth required in sharing them makes NXPowerLite a win-win product.