Neuxpower NXPowerLite 4
Reviewed: Geetesh Bajaj
Date Created: May 13th 2009
Last Updated: May 13th 2009
NXPowerLite 4 is the new version of a well known file optimizing product that reduces the size of Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and JPEG images. The files remain in their original format, with almost no loss of quality. Also NXPowerLite works integrated within Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail. In this case, NXPowerLite will automatically optimize email attachments as they are sent and the file recipients don't need NXPowerLite to open or edit the attachments.
NXPowerLite 4 is the newest version -- we have reviewed the earlier versions of this product on this site. Read the older reviews for versions NXPowerLite, NXPowerLite 2, NXPowerLite 3, and NXPowerLite 3.6 here.
NXPowerLite 4 is from Neuxpower, a company based in London, UK that has been creating custom applications since 1997. Learn more about these products and download a free trial version of NXPowerLite 4 from their site...
Here is the list of key features in NXPowerLite 4:
- Automatically optimizes email attachments: NXPowerLite integrates with your email client to automatically optimize attachments. You can easily disable optimization temporarily (it will be re-enabled next time you send an attachment).
- Optimizes files stored within ZIP archives: You can now even optimize files when they're stored within standard ZIP archives. The Word, Excel, PowerPoint or JPEG files will be optimized within ZIP archives by NXPowerLite.
- Choice of optimization levels: Now you can optimize for screen, print or mobile devices, or select your own custom settings.
- Batch processing: Optimize multiple files, simply drag them onto the NXPowerLite window to build a list of files to optimize. If you add a folder or standard ZIP archive to the list, NXPowerLite will search through it and optimize the Word, Excel, PowerPoint and JPEG files it finds.
- Fully integrated with Microsoft Office: NXPowerLite is fully integrated with Microsoft Office, so you can optimize your current file from within Word, Excel or PowerPoint. You can also optimize a file by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer.
My contact at NXPowerLite 4 for this review was Tommy Powell - thank you, Tommy.
Download the installer from the link given above, run the setup routine
and follow the instructions. You'll end up with an NXPowerLite 4 shortcut
on the desktop.
Drag and drop any Microsoft Office file or images files on NXPowerLite 4 shortcut to summon the NXPowerLite 4 interface open with the dragged file ready to be optimized, as you can see in Figure 1.
Figure 1: NXPowerLite 4 Interface
I won't go into details regarding the actual workflow now since it works in the same way as it has worked in previous versions -- you'll find links to previous reviews of NXPowerLite earlier on this page.
Following are the new features in NXPowerLite 4:
- Optimizes JPEG images as well as Microsoft Office files.
- Optimize Office files and JPEG images within ZIP archives.
- Streamlined user interface.
- Simplified optimization settings - optimize for 'Screen', 'Print', or 'Mobile Device'.
- Add support for automatically optimizing attachments in more email clients (Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail).
- Better integration with email clients.
- Added Dutch, Korean, Portuguese and Russian translations.
NXPowerLite 4 costs $45.00. Multi-user pricing are available, and upgrade costs from older versions of NXPowerLite is $22.50.
Support is through email. There's also a small online FAQ and a user manual.
NXPowerLite 4 builds upon the performance of earlier versions of the product. With this version, Neuxpower has succeeded in creating a very capable product that can pay for itself the first few time you use it to optimize your Microsoft Office documents and JPEG files.