Reviewed: Geetesh Bajaj
Date Created: August 8th 2007
Last Updated: February 23rd 2009
If you want to create a Flash movie from PowerPoint, you'll find that you are spoilt for choices. But start looking for a freeware product, and the options aren't that great anymore. So it was quite out of the ordinary to see a new product that not only does free PowerPoint to Flash conversion on the desktop, but also uploads the output to free sharing site.
authorPOINT Lite is from authorGEN, a company based in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA. You can learn more about their products from their site...
authorPOINT Lite is a freeware application which converts PowerPoint presentation to Flash while retaining its animations, sound and narrations. The converted presentation can be viewed in any web browser locally, or can be uploaded to authorSTREAM, a free online presentation sharing platform.
My contact at authorGEN for this review was Jagdeep Pannu -- thank you, Jagdeep.
Download the installer, run the setup routine and follow the instructions.
You'll end up with an authorGEN program group in your Windows Start menu
(see Figure 1 below).
Figure 1: authorGEN Start menu Group
Follow these steps to convert and upload any PowerPoint presentation with authorPOINT Lite:
- Go to your Windows Start menu and choose All Programs | authorGEN
| authorPOINT Lite (see Figure 1 above).
- This launches the authorPOINT Lite interface, as shown in Figure
Figure 2: Interface
- Click on the Import button which will open Import File dialog box
as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Import files
- In Import Files (refer to Figure 3 above)
dialog box, click Select files button which opens a dialog box from
where you can select any PowerPoint presentation on your hard disk.
- Select the file you want to convert, this will add the presentation
in the conversion list as shown in Figure 4. Select
the file(s), and choose the output folder and click on the Import
Figure 4: Import now
- This will import the presentation into the authorPOINT Lite interface
(see Figure 5).
Figure 5: Main Interface
The interface is divided into four parts:
Presentation: The pane on the left side of the interface shows a list of presentations converted.
Preview: The center area of the interface is the preview area which displays the slides for the selected presentation.
Slide Thumbnails: The horizontal pane at the bottom of the interface shows the thumbnail view of the slides for the selected presentation.
Right Pane: On the right side side of the interface you will find Presentation Details, Presenter Options, and Presentation Settings where you can provide presentation details, create a presenter profile, and set the quality of embedded audio and images, and choose and apply different layouts for your presentation.
- Once done with all the changes click the Upload to authorSTREAM button
, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Upload
Note: To upload the converted presentation you have to sign up in authorSTREAM, and create a free account.
- Clicking the Upload to authorSTREAM button will bring up the Upload
to authorSTREAM dialog box. Provide your account info and click on the
Upload button as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Upload
- This might take some time. When it is done, you'll find the uploaded
presentation link in authorSTREAM dialog box (see Figure 8).
Figure 8: Presentation URL
- Copy and paste the URL provided in any browser, or paste in an email
to view and share the presentation.
- In addition, Flash output is also available locally on your desktop which can be distributed through other means like CD or some other private online sharing network.
authorPOINT Lite is freeware.
Support is through e-mail, and an online FAQ.
authorPOINT is a great freeware alternative that's seriously better than some commercial PowerPoint to Flash converters.