Beauty Box Photo
A new Photoshop plug-in that quickly and easily erases skin blemishes and evens out skin tones.
Reviewed: Geetesh Bajaj
Beauty Box Photo is a Photoshop compatible plug-in that uses advanced algorithms to do effective skin retouching. It's face detection option automatically identifies and corrects the skin tone. Beauty Box Photo automatically applies skin smoothing settings, and you can change these settings and/or adjust the mask as required.
Beauty Box Photo is from Digital Anarchy, a company based in San Francisco, USA that specializes in special effect filters for image editing and video programs. Digital Anarchy also creates other Photoshop compatible plug-ins like 3D Invigorator, Primatte Chromakey 3, ToonIt!, Backdrop Designer, etc.
You can download a free trial version of Beauty Box Photo from the Digital Anarchy site.
My contact at Digital Anarchy for this review was Debbie Rich, thank you Debbie.
How To Use
Follow these steps to use Beauty Box Photo:
- Launch an image editor such as Adobe Photoshop (where you installed the Beauty Box Photo plug-in) and open any picture
that includes a face which needs to corrected.
- Choose Filter | Digital Anarchy| Beauty Box Photo, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Beauty Box Photo
- This will open the Beauty Box Photo interface that you can see in the Figure 2 below. When opened,
you will notice that Beauty Box Photo already applies and previews its skin smoothing settings. You can later change these
Figure 2: Beauty Box Photo interface
The interface is explained below:
- Preview: Shows Before and After images respectively, you just need to press Ctrl+G to switch in
between the original and the changed image.
- Smoothing Controls: These three controls work together to smooth over wrinkles and blemishes. The
Smoothing Amount and Smoothing Radius controls alter the look of the skin. The Skin Detail Amount control can add back a
bit of the lost skin texture.
- Main Controls: Here you find two very important buttons:
- Auto-Mask: This button is probably the most important control within the Beauty Box Photo plug-in as
it uses face detection to analyze the subject's face area, then it determines what skin tones are needed to create a mask.
The created mask is then used to control where the skin smoothing is applied.
- Show Mask: This button displays the mask that has been built.
- Auto-Mask: This button is probably the most important control within the Beauty Box Photo plug-in as it uses face detection to analyze the subject's face area, then it determines what skin tones are needed to create a mask. The created mask is then used to control where the skin smoothing is applied.
- Manual Mask Controls: These can be used when you want to edit the automatic mask created by Beauty Box
Photo. Use the Set and Add buttons to add and expand the color range used to generate the smoothing mask.
- Advanced Mask Controls: These are used to perfect the mask. For example, if there are lighter areas in
parts of the mask that should be dark or vice-versa, you can adjust the range to tweak the mask by using the sliders around
two colors in the Hue (H), Saturation (S) or Value (V) channels.
- Image Controls: Here you find three sliders that can fine-tune the details of an image. The Preserve
Edges slider keeps significant details of the image. The Preserve Small Detail slider preserves skin texture by adding
grain to the image after smoothing. And the Sharpening Amount slider helps preserve the detail of the overall image by
offsetting the smoothing with a touch of sharpening. The Use Mask For Sharpening option, when checked limits the sharpening
effect to the mask area.
- Color Correction Controls: These three sliders add precise color controls. The Adjust Hue slider can
add red/yellow to the image if used with negative values, and green/blue if set to positive values. The Adjust Saturation
and Adjust Brightness sliders do exactly what they are named for. The Use Mask For Color Correction option restricts the
color correction effects to the mask area.
- Snapshots and Actions: These snapshot buttons take a snapshot and can be saved as three render views
of the image as it looks with your Beauty Box Photo corrections. And the three action buttons below let you access and use
- Zoom: Zoom in and out of the preview image.
- Preset List: Here you can save combinations of Beauty Box Photo settings for later use.
- Preview: Shows Before and After images respectively, you just need to press Ctrl+G to switch in between the original and the changed image.
- Use the options to tweak and modify the image. Once done, click OK to apply the changes, and return to your Photoshop composition.
- Launch an image editor such as Adobe Photoshop (where you installed the Beauty Box Photo plug-in) and open any picture that includes a face which needs to corrected.
|Photoshop Versions:||7 and higher|