Permanently Turn Off Notifications in Windows 8
Learn how to permanently turn off notifications in Windows 8.
Author: Geetesh Bajaj
OS: Windows 8
We already showed how you can turn off notifications in Windows 8 for a while -- maybe you want these notifications off while you are presenting your PowerPoint slides. Although these notifications can be useful, some of them can be very irritating and even embarrassing when you show slides to an audience. Some people hate them so much that they want them barred even when they are not presenting -- if your thought processes work the same way, you can turn these notifications off permanently.
Follow these steps to permanently turn off all notifications in Windows 8:
- Access the Charms bar by pressing Win key + C, or moving
your mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen and slowly moving it up. When the
Charms bar appears, click the Settings option (highlighted
in red within Figure 1).
Figure 1: Settings option within the Charms bar
- This brings up the Settings menu, as shown in Figure 2.
Here, click the Change PC settings option, highlighted in red within
Figure 2: Change PC settings option selected
- This opens the PC settings window where you can make modifications to
this part of the operating system (see Figure 3). Here select the
Notifications option shown highlighted in red within Figure 3.
Figure 3: Notifications option to be selected
- This will bring up the Notifications settings on the right side of the
PC settings window, as shown highlighted in red within
Figure 4: Notifications options
There are three options for Notifications (highlighted in red within Figure 4). As you can see in Figure 4 above, these three options are now active as depicted by the blue On slider -- you just need to drag the slider leftwards to deactivate any of them.
- Show app notifications: Turn off app notifications for all existing and future apps -- choosing to set this option as Off results in the other two settings being grayed out.
- Show app notifications on the lock screen: Turns off app notifications on the lock screen -- the lock screen is what you see if you haven't used your computer for a while.
- Play notifications sounds: Turn off notification sounds
- In Figure 5
you can see that all notifications for existing apps are turned off (highlighted in red within
Figure 5) depicted by the grey Off slider.
Figure 5: All Notifications turned off
Have your ever used keyboard shortcuts and sequences in PowerPoint? Or are you a complete keyboard aficionado? Do you want to learn about some new shortcuts? Or do you want to know if your favorite keyboard shortcuts are documented?
Go and get a copy of our PowerPoint Keyboard Shortcuts and Sequences E-Book.